WELCOME TO AN ADVENTUROUS 42ND SEASON!
Experience the most diversified chamber music repertoire performed by leading Chicago artists brought together by Artistic Director/Pianist Gerald Rizzer. This season, eight programs will delight your senses as the traditional eclectic programming is enhanced by the "Discover America" Program.
There are four programs made up of beloved masterpieces and some lesser-known works that deserve to be heard. From Bach to Beethoven to Bliss and Piston, and so much more. Each program is performed twice, Sundays at 3:00pm at International House, and again Tuesdays at 7:30pm at Fourth Presbyterian Church. An overview of the eclectic programming:
- November 4/6 – Program I: Trios for violin, cello, and piano (Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven)
- January 13/15 – Program II: Songs and instrumental works for soprano, violin, cello, and piano (Schubert, Schumann)
- March 10/12 – Program III: Music for flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, and piano (Haydn, Caplet, Muczynski, Poulenc)
- June 4/9 – Program IV: Music for oboe, string quartet, and piano (Mozart, Bliss, Saint-Saëns, Piston)
The ninth round of The Chicago Ensemble’s “Discover America” competition brought us 430 submissions, from which 24 were selected in a variety of accessible styles. Winning works are by composers of all ages, living in countries throughout the world. The programs will be presented Saturday afternoons in the intimate recital hall of Pianoforte located at 1335 S. Michigan Ave. on November 24, February 2, and March 30 at 4:00pm. and on April 20 at 2:00pm. An overview of the “Discover America” programming:
- November 24 – Program A: Music for violin, viola, cello, and piano (John Allemeier, Vladan Gecin, Fabio Massimo Capogrosso, Ari Sussman, Gilbert Galindo)
- February 2 – Program B: Music for clarinet, violin, cello, and piano (Matthew Browne, Roger Zare, Alexander Timofeev, Joyce Wai-chung Tang, Luzia von Wyl)
- March 30 – Program C: Music for soprano, flute, violin, cello and piano (Micah Clark, Hendrik Hofmeyr, Anton Svetlichny, Paul Novak, Robert Cohen, Matthew Peterson)
- April 20 – Program D: Music for baritone, flute, clarinet, cello, and piano (Ryan Dodge, Douglas Fisk, Sungji Hong, Michael Schelle, Elliot Roman, Gerald Rizzer)
For full details, view the current season.
The group’s Artistic director and pianist is Gerald Rizzer. The Chicago Ensemble presents “Chicago’s most venerable and reportorially adventurous chamber music series,” according to Lawrence Johnson in Chicago Classical Review.
Programs I, II, III, and IV are presented Sunday afternoons at 3:00 at International House on the University of Chicago campus and Tuesday evenings at 7:30 at Fourth Presbyterian Church, a block from the Water Tower on North Michigan Avenue. Programs A, B, C, and D are presented Saturday afternoons at 4:00 (2:00pm April 20) at PianoForte in the south loop. Concerts are preceded by a complimentary reception. Gerald Rizzer offers verbal commentary about each piece.
Tickets are $30 ($10 students). Subscriptions available: Eight ticket subscription for $150 or Five ticket subscription for $120. For further information, contact The Chicago Ensemble at (773) 558-3448 or email@example.com.
Purchase tickets online at Brown Paper Tickets.
Sample our music.
Listen to our music: Beethoven Trio in G Major, op. 1 no. 2 - 1st movement.
Financial Contribution to Support the Chicago Ensemble
If you wish to make a contribution to The Chicago Ensemble, please contact us:
- Phone: (773) 558-3448
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: PO Box 409048, Chicago, IL 60640
- PayPal: (The Chicago Ensemble will not have to pay a processing fee to PayPal if you indicate that you are making a gift. This is accomplished by marking the button on the PayPal form noting that it is being sent as a gift to a friend. Additionally, please note that while the recipient name should say The Chicago Ensemble, your receipt may come from the email of Bonniejean Alford, who is our website/social media manager.)
Please follow the Chicago Ensemble on Social Media, on Facebook and Twitter. Let’s Trend this amazing 42nd season with the following hashtags: #TheChicagoEnsemble #42ndseason #MusicalAdventure #DiscoverAmerica #ChamberMUSICwithFRIENDS
An Overview of what's to come in the 42nd Season
Winning works from The Chicago Ensemble’s “Discover America IX” competition are to be featured in the programming of the group’s 2018-2019 season. The pieces were selected from 430 submissions.
For recent media coverage on The Chicago Ensemble, view this article: http://chicagoclassicalreview.com/2017/04/the-chicago-ensemble-marks-40-years-of-adventurous-chamber-music/
Ticket Information for Performances
For tickets or to receive a brochure:
Phone: (773) 558-3448
Online: Click the event date on our season details page to buy tickets, or visit our Brown Paper Tickets overview page.
Or see our order form to print out and mail your order.
Single Tickets: $30 general, $10 students/Subscriptions: $150 8-ticket, $120 5-ticket
Ticket includes free reception beginning 30 minutes before each concert.
Each program in The Chicago Ensemble's concert subscription series is presented at Fourth Presbyterian Church, a block from the Water Tower, and at International House, on the University of Chicago campus. "Discover America" concerts are presented Saturday afternoons at 4:00pm (2:00pm on April 20) at Pianoforte in the south loop.
A complimentary reception precedes each program. The Artistic Director, Gerald Rizzer, introduces the works on the program with informative comments.
Not sure of your schedule? Tickets are good for any concert, whenever and wherever you want to experience The Chicago Ensemble.